Join Today

Site Sponsor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: prls

Apprentice

Default prls

is there a way to get a flashed mifi to use a att prl.. instead of verizon or sprint? thanks

BANNED

Default Re: prls

Quote Originally Posted by bakenast View Post
    is there a way to get a flashed mifi to use a att prl.. instead of verizon or sprint? thanks
    Are you asking if you can get a CDMA Mifi to use ATTs Network?

Just clarifying

Apprentice

yup, I get much better service with att where i live

AT&T is GSM and does not use PRL's. and unless you're on a contract account AT&T, not an MVNO or prepaid, will shut your data off for abuse if your using it to tether. I've had a few customer that thought they could get service with Green Mobile to use ipads and lost the data due to abuse.

If you have good AT&T coverage you'll most likely have good VZW, why not try NextG Mobile they have some reasonable data plans.

Apprentice

just looked up nextg i see it has plans with example 2gb does this mean for example if i was to download a movie that was 2gb in size that it would use up all my monthly data?

Quote Originally Posted by bakenast View Post
    just looked up nextg i see it has plans with example 2gb does this mean for example if i was to download a movie that was 2gb in size that it would use up all my monthly data?
    That is correct if you used it all in one shot it would be used for the remainder of the cycle, NextG will soon, if they haven't already start a throttle after the allowed data is used. Meaning you use up the 2gb at 3g speeds, and the rest of the cycle will be 128kps or less (dialup speeds) and could always be suspended for abuse.

You should always consider what your uses are and make the choices in that regards. While it maybe cheaper to flash a Mifi and only pay $60/mo will your usage out-weigh the plan, would going with a DSL, cable or even a satellite be a better alternative and give you more Bang for your buck.

Most prepaid carriers are cracking down on tethering and hotspot usage, with good reason, there are peeps who abuse the system, not just with cloned devices but also activating SIM cards and using them just for data on plans that are specifically designed for talk/text/data with a balance weighing towards data now days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast