PDA

View Full Version : Verizon mvnos with byod policies besides Page Plus

identified800
02-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Verizon is unique as a cdma carrier in that it allows its resellers/mvnos to have a large degree of byod with original Verizon phones. In general it works like this.

Any clean esn/postpaid Verizon phone can be used on most Verizon mvnos with at least talk/text. Often mms. Smartphones often work out of the box with everything working, especially Palm OS/Winmo devices. Blackberries, ymmv.

A higher degree of byod on Verizon mvnos is that some allow other Verizon mvno phones on their system too. Like Ampd and Straight Talk handsets can be used on PPC and Ampd is generally accepted among most other byod Verizon mvnos (except E816).

Another degree is that Alltel handsets can be activated. Usually with talk/text only.

Carriers that accept all Verizon clean esn handsets as of today are :
Air Voice Express. H20 Cdma. Mingo Wireless. Black Dog Wireless (non unlimited plans).
Lucky Wireless.

Carriers that accept Alltels. Black Dog Wireless. Air Voice Express (claims to).

Carriers that accept Ampd/possibly other mvnos. All.

This is of interest as Page Plus has been implementing increasingly restrictive policies on allowed handsets. In January, they banned all Verizon new prepaid phones (except via calling CS directly). And on Feb. 5 they banned Blackberries and Treos officially but virtually all Palms and some non meid HTC devices got caught up in it too.

mobilefreedom
02-27-2010, 05:07 AM
Looks like all the other NON PPC mvnos mentioned above: Mingo, Air Voice Express, etc are ALL affected by the Verizon prepaid phone ban. It also includes Alltel prepaids too. This is going to cripple both H20 and Air Voice cdma as they have NO phones of their own relying SOLELY on byod.
Without an attractive unlimited plan , data or lowered per minute rates like PPC, these poor guys have no way to really compete unless they step it up. Considering their gsm divisions (Both H20 and Aiir Voice have both Gsm/Att and cdma/Verizon variants of their brands) are all running an Att/gsm unlimited plan, a Page plus like unlimited plan on their cdma sides soon isn't likely anytime soon.

The problem is that we have no idea what degree the prepaid phones have been affected too. Does old stock prepaid that got reincarnated as refurbs fall under that? This is to me a fourth and fifth byod threat from Verizon /Page Plus . This time it encompasses all Verizon mvnos.

Really PPC is the only Verizon mvno with both byod and unlimited. Not a choice at all really.

I read one user on another forum angrily go, "why wait six months (now permanent), just flash them to Cricket."

I'd like to paraphrase the term "If you make peaceful revolution impossible , you make violent revolution inevitable."

If you make legal byod impossible... fill in the rest...

mobilefreedom
08-17-2010, 07:01 AM
Siri Wireless is a new mvno running via mvne Telspace. They have no real outstanding plans except full postpaid roaming coverage included and a $24.99 /250 minute/3000 nights and weekend minute talk plan. They have Blackberry, Android, iphone and Winmo support options at a pricy 25-30 bucks a month . Supposedly can be used for any carrier including their own.What kills me about them is their stupid $35 activation fee. I think Telspace is charging them up the ass. Supposedly they have a user base of 100k including a Sprint and Att gsm mvno plan . The Sprint plans are unlimited of course and the Att one is paygo.

Air Voice Express is going to no longer be a Verizon mvno by year's end according to numerous posts on Hofo. They haven't updated their rates in four years but they still hold their own.

Mingo Wireless is going to become a Sprint mvno also. Supposedly had trouble with mvne Telspace and Verizon not allowing them latitude on their plans.

I hate Sprint mvnos because of the lack of byod. That and the lack of roaming coverage makes Sprint mvnos suck as a class for prepaid carriers.

I think Siri Wireless would do a lot better if they lowered their Verizon based plan, phone and activation prices. $35 activation is ridiculous. Especially if they are charging dealers to do it. Stupid.

mobilefreedom
11-02-2010, 07:35 AM
Update: Four Verizon mvnos with byod went under in the course of one month.
Mingo Verizon transitioned to a Sprint platform and turned over their remaining Verizon users over to BMA Communications, a company running Lucky Wireless (another Vz mvno). Mingo Verizon became MyPayGo.

BMA decided to pull the plug on both MyPayGo and Lucky Wireless in September by not communicating with MywayWireless, a small company providing CS and tech support for both Lucky and MyPayGo.

Mywaywireless decided to end their relationship with BMA and Lucky wireless /Mypaygo customers ended up having to port out in an emergency move.

Air Voice Express/Cdma had announced their demise for December but they accelerated it to October.

So, three or four mvnos (depending on how you look at it) went down in one month or so. All with byod.

Mingo had excellent customer service. (Mingo Sprint is their direct successor).
Lucky had postpaid coverage and decent priced monthly plans.
Mypaygo was going to launch an unlimited talk plan.
Air Voice had good talk/text paygo rates.

With them gone , the short list of byod for Verizon prepaid options are:
1)Page Plus
2)H20 cdma.
3)Verizon prepaid.

balthasaradell
11-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Hey
I paid for a 40 dollar a month on my PCS contract and hacked it to get free web. they didnt provide web because i brought my own device. but i found a way to hack in, change the settings and now I'm online. can i do that with verizon air voice? im using a blackberry storm 1
THANKS!

Verizon is unique as a cdma carrier in that it allows its resellers/mvnos to have a large degree of byod with original Verizon phones. In general it works like this.

Any clean esn/postpaid Verizon phone can be used on most Verizon mvnos with at least talk/text. Often mms. Smartphones often work out of the box with everything working, especially Palm OS/Winmo devices. Blackberries, ymmv.

A higher degree of byod on Verizon mvnos is that some allow other Verizon mvno phones on their system too. Like Ampd and Straight Talk handsets can be used on PPC and Ampd is generally accepted among most other byod Verizon mvnos (except E816).

Another degree is that Alltel handsets can be activated. Usually with talk/text only.

Carriers that accept all Verizon clean esn handsets as of today are :
Air Voice Express. H20 Cdma. Mingo Wireless. Black Dog Wireless (non unlimited plans).
Lucky Wireless.

Carriers that accept Alltels. Black Dog Wireless. Air Voice Express (claims to).

Carriers that accept Ampd/possibly other mvnos. All.

This is of interest as Page Plus has been implementing increasingly restrictive policies on allowed handsets. In January, they banned all Verizon new prepaid phones (except via calling CS directly). And on Feb. 5 they banned Blackberries and Treos officially but virtually all Palms and some non meid HTC devices got caught up in it too.

mobilefreedom
11-23-2010, 03:52 AM
Air Voice Cdma is dead. It only had talk/text anyway. Look at the later posts, they will indicate that Mingo Verizon, Air Voice cdma, Myway Wireless, and Lucky wireless all died in the last few months.

There are only three serious byod Verizon based prepaid carriers:
Verizon Prepaid itself.
Page Plus.
H20 Cdma.

Neither Page Plus or H20 have unlimited data. H20 only has mms. Paygo mms.

mobilefreedom
05-10-2011, 05:23 AM
There's a new carrier floating around out there called Nation PCS. They are introducing Verizon based mvno plans . Unlimited talk/text and unlimited everything (but data has one gig cap).

Reportedly FULL postpaid Verizon/Alltel byod including Iphone 4 Cdma and all 4G/LTE devices (Thunderbolt, etc.)

Prices still aren't confirmed. Has full Verizon postpaid coverage. Supposedly allows ANY OTHER CDMA device including non Verizon/Alltel ones IF esn activates on their system.

Possibly more byod then Page Plus (no iphone, no LTE devices).

Nation PCS just introed these plans. Will the Verizon byod/mvno short list grow?
More to come.

mobilefreedom
06-05-2011, 04:24 AM
More to come. Apparently Xila Telecom is using MvnoX Red as a point to launch a bunch of new mini resellers "mvnos" . Among the newbs are My Tay Wireless (those guys are clueless, one rep claimed they could get Tmobile and Att Gsm phones on there...yeah right), My Genesis Mobile (way too expensive) and ACRS Wireless. Nation PCS itself is shuttering its website with a "down for maintenance " status.

There is a STEEP activation fee at all of them I believe. ACRS charges $75. They are offering talk/text unlimited for $49 and unlimited talk/text/1 gig data for $85. Any cdma phone except Verizon prepaid is allowed. That includes the cdma iphone and Thunderbolt/LTE/4G devices (in 3G mode). No other Verizon prepaid/mvno option offers that at this time.

ACRS Wireless is the only serious contender in my view, their owner is the master dealer for Sprint mvno Platinum Tel on the East Coast. He's being straight up saying one gig whereas everyone else is claiming "unlimited" which is a lie.

ACRS has its own website. The others are all cookie cutter company issued sites .

The biggest edges they offer are unlimited talk/text/messaging , full (nearly) cdma byod along with postpaid Verizon coverge. The biggest sticking points will be the prices, especially the activation fees.

Page Plus has nothing to worry about. Two different markets.

Great for Iphone cdma users who want an alternative now and are used to Verizon level prices though.

mobilefreedom
07-21-2011, 06:28 PM
There are at least two Verizon postpaid byod coverage mvnos running right now off of Xila Telecom's Mvnox red plan.
1)Nation PCS is running unlimited talk/text/1 gig data, postpaid coverage for ANY cdma phone for $65 with a $35 byod activation fee
2)ACRS wireless is running the same deal at $70.

ACRS claims to offer a better return to its dealers.

Both offer the ability to byod phones Page Plus and Verizon prepaid can't run (Iphone cdma, Thunderbolt, etc.)

One gig of data is NOT unlimited by any measure but is the most bang for the buck on any Verizon prepaid/mvno plan at this time attached to an unlimited talk/text plan.

One minus is that their unlimited plans do not offer mms. You have to pay per mms (wth).

electron6
09-09-2011, 10:55 AM
MVNOX stopped signing new dealers yesterday and seems they are having problems with dealers live portals. But, customers services are still working fine. So, hope they work thru the problems. The extra data and BYOD is really nice.

identified800
12-23-2012, 04:53 AM
New Verizon mvnos are out . There is a Texas based one called Next G which is aggressively seeking dealers nationwide and offers unlimited everything on 3G for $60 (probably 2 gb data cap). Byod is similar to Page Plus. There is another one called Talk 4 Good but they are a pain to apply too. They claim LTE early next year though and allow full byod cdma except prepaid Verizon phones and bad esn Verizon devices.

rich hathaway
12-23-2012, 12:28 PM
i am a next G dealer,there plans rock,unlimited everything is sweet and there is no cap.it really is looking to me like they will be the next cricket or metro,since both carriers are discontinuing to allow byod for some 3 years while they change there networks trying to keep up with the jones's. all those potential customers will need somewhere to go. we are hard at work building flashes for the sprint and us cell to next G phones to try and prepare for this,since most dealers depend on flashing so heavily.
i am in business with a vzw mvno as there exclusive maker of there custom softwares for there phones.
the co i build custom phone softawares for is alltalk,an mvno for vzw and a jewish/hebrew based /owned and run company that caters to the jewish community,but there are many more micro mvno that are under 5k customer base.
so if you see any alltalk phones out there pick one up and look at that sexy firm on those vzw phones i built :)

also a hundred bucks to any one that can flash ANY ALLTALK phone to any other carrier without changing hardware.
we made that phone the first true kosher and fully secure phone in the world,it is not flashable.the first model released early this year it was lgvx5500,second model is looking to be moto citrus out early next year,and possibly iphone late next year.

whitey10tc
12-23-2012, 10:49 PM
Yup I do Next G also, right along with most all prepaid carriers...

cbernardo13
01-22-2013, 04:58 AM
I just became an auth dealer for nextg. The service is really that good? I know its Verizon, but its also limited to Verizon's full network, as far as coverage is concerned, right? And are these flashed just like VZW pp or PagePlus to get 3g?

rich hathaway
01-22-2013, 11:45 AM
yes the same as pp

Jonathan White
05-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Same as PP as in if I activate on Next G and then Flash a phone using PagePlus settings, it'll work with Next G? the data settings seem the same, but I dont want to start up a plan just to test it out since Next G requires a Plan to be added on activation...

rich hathaway
05-08-2013, 04:42 PM
yes its the same,but you cant have your esn with pp if you want to use nextg

whitey10tc
05-08-2013, 11:34 PM
Green Mobile is also upcoming MVNO on the Verizon network for talk/text and data. Planned launch date is in July, Green Mobile will also ad T-Mobile and Sprint to the offering by end of year.

gadgetdaddy
05-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Where can we find out more about the Green...?
Did a google search and found nothing.

whitey10tc
05-11-2013, 01:18 AM
Next week we will be opening a new forum here for Green Mobile along with a Wiki page for it. Right now we are small and not pushing web sales until we have a good customer base. Currently we have focused on large corps. that have a large amount of phones to service. But if you'd like more info either as a customer or as a dealer feel free to PM me for the info.